BMW F800 Forum banner
821 - 840 of 841 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I knew you got annoyed... [lol]

I was jocking, in any case, I'd say we have different perspectives about motorcicling, you know, EU could be big but is divided by lots of different languages, so not many riders travel (not to mention the price of fuel), so many stick to their areas and focus on riding. About this, I suppose that motoGP and other races have their charm and their responsibilities too, also policemen here usually are polite and sometimes they even tend to forgive small offences.
Plus, here we have art and history, in USA you have more nature and sceneries. Maybe, if I lived in USA, I too could ride an HD or a Buell[:D]
Plant Sky Road surface Asphalt Tar
I haven't much of these, when I find roads like this I can't stop and take pics, I can't help nothing [lol]

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
I knew you got annoyed... [lol]

[lol]
Actually, I was busy. I'm surprised no one else replied before I did.

I spent a couple weeks this summer down in the Southwest. I think if I lived there, I'd get one of the GS models. There are great paved roads, but far more unpaved roads that look like they lead to some nice adventures.

In the meantime, this weekend, I'll be in search of the illusive curvy, twisty road. :D

Chris

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
A taste of things to come. Mt. Rainer in the background, sitting 14,000 feet above where I was.

The scenery on the way to Mt. St. Helens was wonderful.

I was fascinated by this view. Blow it up to full-size and just take in all the textures from the grass in the bottom center starting to grow, to the cut out river banks, all leading up to the dome in the crater.

FWIW, when I was in the 9th grade, I climbed the earlier version of Mt. St. Helens. As we crossed the crater, I was thinking, "This is an active volcano. What would it be like if it blew up." Obviously, it was years later when that actually happened.

Chris

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
Yesterday, I headed out to the North Cascades Highway with James (jtvisions). The decision to go there or to the Puget Sound beaches boiled down to how much smoke we thought we'd hit. In the end, we decided to take our chances and brave the smoke from the forest fires.

Our leaves are changing, but we're not as far along as what other parts of the country are seeing.

The smoke really cut down the view of the mountains.

This is what you can't see.

But once we got over the first of the passes, the sky cleared. It's like the smoke was being held in place by the mountains in the east and pushed up there by the onshore breezes coming from the west.

Parked at the Washington Pass Overlook (NF-500).

And then back to the smoke to get home.

Chris

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
Not as scenic as the north American autumn (fall) colour displays, but it's what we've got and I like it :)

SteveT
Sometimes it isn't that the colours are better here, it is the timing. When I went on that last trip, the colours looked more drab than I was hoping for. That was a week ago. What are they like now?

I've been tempted to stop for a picture on the way to church. The last section of road has a center median area. The road is lined with maples that have turned a bright red/pink colour. (Not sure what colour that is. I grew up with only 8 colours in my Crayon box.) ;)

So the colours may have improved on that road I took the pictures of now...but do I have time now to go check them out? Not today, or the next several days. But like you, I'll take any excuse for a ride and enjoy it.

Chris

821 - 840 of 841 Posts