BMW F800 Forum banner
801 - 820 of 841 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi All.

Just completed a quick (?) ride from Norwich (East Anglia) to Truro (Cornwall), making some magic 1000 miles trip (moreless).

The weather was good overall, except in Cornwall where we have some periods of light rain. The M25 was absolute nightmare with endless queues, and the filtering between lorries was a bit stressful for my better half. Approaching Southampton two of the three lines on the dual carriageway were closed and same story here- queues for miles with all caravans and holidaymakers. In Southampton we surprisingly found the Southampton Bike Night. No other issues on the road. The bike was great, I have noticed some unpleasant vibrations above 80mph- I am considering antivibrations bar risers, maybe next year. The average fuel consumption was 4.5l/100 (52mpg)- which I think is very decent, with the pillion and 33 kg of cargo onboard, and my riding style quite far from a retiree. Map World Terrestrial plant Atlas Natural material
Water Sky Water resources Azure Natural landscape
Water Sky Lighthouse Cloud Natural landscape
Plant Sky Building Window Thatching
Wheel Tire Vehicle Window Motor vehicle

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well done Adam, an epic trip by anyone's standard, glad you enjoyed yourselves, I would have suggested 'Grip Puppies' but you've already got them fitted!

(Is that you're country cottage by the way, how the rich folks of Norwich live eh?)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks Shaun.

I wish! The village I just spotted on the way, it was so stunning and picturesque that I had to stop and photograph it. It seemed unreal.

Have a nice day all, the weather forecast looks good, enjoy your rides!

Adam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, my F800R is my daily ride, so dont post often.

However I jave been 'Beekeeping' my suit fits in a pannier and actually handling a hive is amazing, riding in this nice weather is great, so I am absolutely buzzing....

I'll get my coat..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dirt in the Dales

Being the bestest Dad in the world, I bought my sons a days riding at Inch Perfect Trials for their birthdays . . . and a day for meself as well, of course, just to keep an eye on them.

Long shlep down from properly "up-north" saw us cover 360 miles to get within spitting distance of the Inch Perfect site.

This was a "comfort" stop for the old man at Langholm

I'd booked a pod at the Bowland Wild Boar park . . .
Not that impressed at first sight [uhoh]

The real pod

Only photo from the days trial riding as it's fairly full on once you get going. This was taken after our break for lunch.

Absolutely brilliant days entertainment from the whole group, getting excellent instruction from Sarah and her shadowing trainee for the day, Stuart. Neither myself nor my sons had done this sort of riding before and I've got to say if you haven't tried it, give it a go. You'll work muscles you never knew you had and develop riding skills you never knew you could, if that makes sense! Oh, and electric trials bikes are great.

After finishing up at Inch Perfect we headed over to join the throng at the UKGSer meet at Dent, meeting up with our new neighbour there after he had been paying old haunts a visit.
Plenty of blethering later and we are into Saturday. After yesterdays impromptu flying and crashing lessons at Inch Perfect, I managed to convince my boys to tackle the local roads and meeting places, like Tan Hill and Hawes, whilst me and my neighbour went and checked out some local trails.

1st up, Stalling Busk

No idea why the wall needed a wash down

Then a scenic piccie on our way too . . .

. . . Cam Road High

Popped into Hawes for tea & nibbles after we came off of the Cam road and managed to get the timing just right . . . before the biking hoards from everywhere descended for a brew.

Then it was off towards Kirkby Stephen to ride part of the monument trail.

An excellent days dirt riding following a very skilled practitioner of the art on his old stomping grounds - cheers Paul [clap]

Evenings entertainment at Dent was the raffle - they know how to party these big GS riders [lol].
Me was cream crackered after two days of tackling dirt, plus there was the small matter of the 300 mile ride home the next day . . . mainly in rain, so I took to my bed early.

Sunday and we took the scenic roads northwards before and after both Edinburgh and Perth, getting this, my final piccie, as we entered back onto home turf. . .

Approx. 810 miles for me, with slightly more covered by my sons. Fantastic way to spend time with your lads, doing what you all enjoy - riding bikes [ride] [:D]

SteveT

[8D]

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
This is a bit more than a one day ride. I left the Seattle area on May 16th and headed down south on I-5 to Palo Alto to help our youngest daughter with some things around the house. On Friday, May 20th, we left and headed to Las Vegas for the day to meet up with the rest of the Family. Youngest daughter and husband flew from Palo Alto, I rode. Oldest daughter, fiancée and my wife of 47 years flew in. The next day, we left and went to St. George, Utah to use as a base camp for exploring Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park.

One of the things I love, is the amazing geography in Utah. Here's a picture of one portion.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Mountain

So while there, we headed over to Zion National Park. I find Yosemite National Park to be similar. Both have these huge cliffs that can only be really appreciated by standing at the foot of them and realizing just how amazing Creation is.

The oldest daughter and fiancée went with me to Bryce Canyon. When I was there for my post-retirement ride, I only had time to walk along the rim. This time, we went all the way to the bottom and across...and then back and up.

This is a picture from the last time I was there from the rim.

This is the way down.

And down some more.

And the bottom.

So the oldest daughter and fiancée who live in France, and my wife flew back home, and now I'm going back to both places with the youngest daughter and husband for a couple days. We're staying in a Bed & Breakfast in a place called Duck Creek Village up in the mountains. We went from triple-digit temps to the 60's F. The altitude is 8500 ft.

Cloud Sky Plant Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Sky Cloud Tire Wheel Vehicle

Plant Sky Road surface Asphalt Automotive tire

Sky Cloud Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

This is where I'm spending the night. Nice place.

Plans are to spend a few more days here with the youngest daughter and husband. Then they drive back to Palo Alto and I will head south to the Grand Canyon for a couple days.

Chris

·
Administrator
11,366 Posts
That is a beautiful area, Chris. Thanks for sharing your photos.

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
Took off with James (jtvisions) to Mt Baker and Heather Meadows. Artist Point is still closed. I'm not sure if the DOT is really plowing it, or just waiting for the sun to melt the snow off the last portion of the road.

But there are still lots of gorgeous views at Heather Meadows where the ski resort is.

That's Upper Bagley Lake covered in snow still at the bottom of the cirque. The dark spot is some rocks.

Lower Bagley Lake. One of the mountains in the background is in Canada. Verizon sent me a text saying my phone could now be used in Canada. That's just how close we are to the border from here.

Mt. Shuksan in the background.

Chris

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
I left on Thursday, the 7th of July for the Sierra Sidewinder 2022 rally at Topaz Lake. My route took me by Crater Lake, late in the day.

Heading up Monitor Pass.

Caples Lake

Coming back down from Monitor Pass. That valley is huge! Topaz Lake is down off the left side of the pic.

I love to look at rock formations. Questions pop into my mind like why is the soil and rock on the left a lighter color than that on the right?

Topaz Lake

Heading home on Sunday, going over Sonora Pass.

Look closely in the center of the picture and you'll see the way the road was with one curve after another.

I'd been riding for a couple hours enjoying Sonora Pass, and then I came around the corner to this.

They were already doing over 30 mph. I think I'll stick to less dangerous sports like motorcycling!

I spent a couple days at my daughter's home in Palo Alto, then headed north up Hwy 101.

Chris

·
Administrator
11,366 Posts
Beautiful roads, Chris. And not a Harley in sight. :confused: Things along your route were looking pretty dry. It looks like you had a really great trip. [:)]

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
Beautiful roads, Chris. And not a Harley in sight. :confused: Things along your route were looking pretty dry. It looks like you had a really great trip. [:)]
Things were not all perfect along the way...I just wanted everyone to think so. :D Maybe get others to get out for a ride and post some pics. ;)

Crater Lake was Cold. Windy. I think you're up at about 8500-9000 feet at the rim and the sun was going down. The cool thing about that, was the person I met. I wavered many times on going. I've been to Crater Lake in the past and it was getting late. The area is wooded and I didn't want to be out in deer country when they are moving about if I could avoid it. But I finally decided to call the motel and tell them I'd be an hour late and go. I pulled into one of the viewpoints and there was a young (to me, everyone has started appearing young!) woman there. She was taking a selfie and I probably asked her if she'd like me to take a picture of her. We got into a conversation about where she was going, and she said she was taking a few weeks to just travel with no agenda in mind. She'd come back from a three week clinic in Germany where they cured her Lyme Disease. Really?!? So we talked for probably 30-40 minutes out there in the cold and wind about it. Like my youngest daughter, she'd had Lyme Disease, a black mold infection inside her and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. She showed me a picture of her before going into the clinic, and she looked like death warmed over. Now she looked like a woman about 35 yrs old who was athletic, and outdoorsy. What a change. So we exchanged info and we're looking into who she saw for treatment. You can call that a coincidence, and that's fine. I just think God was working to get the two of us together. I could've been 15 minutes off on my timing and missed her completely.

Then the morning of heading back north, the coastal fog was in.

Water resources Water Sky Plant Natural landscape

And then the coast along central Oregon's beaches was windy. At one gas stop, a HD rider on a Road King asked me if the wind was tossing me around a lot since it was doing that to him pretty badly.

But earlier in the day, I had an old grandfatherly type guy with his family ask me if riding a motorcycle was fun. My reply was that if it wasn't, I wouldn't be out here.

Got a ride planned for Friday.

Chris

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
I went out with James (jtvisions). We headed across some back roads that included a lot of farmland to one of his favorite beaches.

If you look closely, you can see Mt. Baker in the background.

Crossing over Deception Pass bridge.

If you stop at one of the view points, you can see boats waiting for the tide to change.

From Wikipedia:
Deception Pass is a dramatic seascape where the tidal flow and whirlpools beneath the twin bridges connecting Fidalgo Island to Whidbey Island move quickly. During ebb and flood tide current speed reaches about 8 knots (9.2 mph), flowing in opposite directions between ebb and flood.[7] This swift current can lead to standing waves, large whirlpools, and roiling eddies. This swift current phenomenon can be viewed from the twin bridges' pedestrian walkways or from the trail leading below the larger south bridge from the parking lot on the Whidbey Island side. Boats can be seen waiting on either side of the pass for the current to stop or change direction before going through. Thrill-seeking kayakers go there during large tide changes to surf the standing waves and brave the class 2 and 3 rapid conditions.

Stopped at the Swinomish Channel at La Conner.

Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
New neighbour has changed his bike (it appears that he & I suffer the same "changeyerbikealot" condition.
So this afternoon, seeing as the weather was on our side (actually been raining a good bit up here) we just had to head out and roll some miles under his new-to-him steeds wheels

This is us parked up waiting for our valet to pop out with ones tea . . .

The view down the river that slides alongside the castle gatehouse . . .

Final picture of what looks to be a B&W photo of some far off nebular taken from the latest space based 10billion dollar camera . . . but is just some river smeg swirling around below the bridge parapit

SteveT

[8D]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sunny day Sunday - think I'll go for a bimble.

Stopped here to listen too . . . . well, nothing really. The occasional peregrine falcon calling up on the cliffs, some ravens croaking off in the distance and a lone osprey silently winging its way over the hills kept me company for a short hour.

Got a little "lost" several times on my way back to so called civilisation . . .

SteveT

[8D]

801 - 820 of 841 Posts