BMW F800 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have not installed Af-Xied yet. Waiting for 1000 mile mark. I just hit 600 and scheduled for dealer run-in service tomorrow. One poster suggested 1000 miles to get a baseline to compare with. Vibrations have been minimal so far. I have neoprene grips and a Kaoko throttle lock, so my hands haven't gone numb at all. The only thing that got my attention is stalling during first gear clutch release if I don't give it a fair amount of gas and slip the clutch more than I've done on my sport bikes. Af-Xied reviews have indicated better low end torque which might make starts more forgiving. The other solution is a lower gear ratio, but that would raise highway rpms. I'll post reviews after I put some miles on the module installation.

How's the X-screen working out?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I gave up at moving air over me, all I'm looking for is calming air now and I seem to get a desired laminar effect at a very low position of the X-CREEN, looking at differences of one click up or down from plain parallel to main screen see which is best but yeah I'm not a bobble head in this current position (two clicks up from parallel)
Arms are as low as I can get them right now, which is I think lower than I had them in what I called a "city position" since I didn't want to sweat, air was clean and hit me square in the face but I was still determined to get air higher.
Drove to dealer to pick up my plate and noticed the setting was actually working on highway really well, on way back, still in "need to get air above me" thinking adjusted screen up and damn that was a horrible idea because I wobbled around terribly plus I didn't make note of the "city position" and it was a hair better than what I have now.
So yeah, if you like the air blast the X-CREEN can get you smooth air, just don't think of it as a "deflector" but a "conditioner".
I very much like this so far.
I'll see if winter is making me reconsider a large fugly screen

Edit: I was asking about AF-XIED, because of your 1000 mile baseline mention and at 1200+ miles I could consider one now. I don't have stalls but I also don't try to take off with little to no throttle, but it seems like a intriguing enough add-on regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Regarding the screen, I think my trim job worked pretty well. I'm getting close to full wind in my face, but very smooth. Cutting off one inch dropped the greatest wind shear down to my shoulders with no thundering noise entering the bottom of my helmet. I do have a Windjammer II donut ring around the bottom, so that could be helping as well. The only thing better than what I have now would be a barn door screen tall enough to push the air over the top. For me, that would be a good 22" or taller screen. That's not going to happen. Right now, the bike looks very sporty and is almost identical to the original style. The other drawback of the huge screen would be no air on hot summer rides. I'll pass. The Windjammer already blocks enough air to require riding with the visor cracked open on hot days. Incidentally, a few days have been cold enough to run my heated grips on high and my upper body stayed very comfortable. I should have worn my leather chaps as my legs were on the cool side. I also have a Turtle Fur neck warmer that really completes the cold air protection. Temp was in the mid-40s. Thanks to heated grips, I could manage temps in the 30s. Lately, it's been in the 90s. If it wasn't for safety, I'd be in shorts, sandals and tee shirt. I had a guy blow by me on a crotch rocket at well over 100 mph through an active school zone in shorts and flip flops. Yikes!

Lots of positive reviews on the Af-Xied install. Sounds like you're ready to do it. Other than the stalling, I haven't notice any negative performance issues. If it smooths out what little vibration I have, that alone would be worthwhile. I'd rather have more of the sound of a twin than the feel. And if it improves the torque and power, that would also be good. Let us know your results.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm happy enough with X-CREEN I'll likely use the mounts that you screw through the screen rather than keep using the clamps as that would clean up the look some.
It's good to know I'm not the only one turned off by those huge screens. VStream Z2473 is likely the only large one I might try, it's not overly huge compared to stock.

I admit I'm for the first time thinking about a 3D printer, could be fun printing some Vortex Generators or just stream splitters, but would be only for the tinkering at this point.

Am I ready for AF-XIED? Not really, still need actual results of a close in age F700GS sending me over the edge. ;)
It's the F800 street models losing 10mpg that keep me from pouncing on the mod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven't read about any 10 mpg losses associated with the Af-Xied module. I've seen posts for a couple of mpg less and some saying no loss at all. I guess I'll find out. Right now, I'm legitimately averaging 56 mpg.

Regarding the x-creen, I had an interesting experience today. Riding home from my 600 mile run-in service, I met another BMW and we waved at each other. He turned and followed me home and turned out to be someone I've ridden with. He has an S1000XR. His screen is an MRA Vario in an extra tall version he special ordered from Germany 70cm taller than the standard touring screen. So, it's roughly 18" tall and has the spoiler lip attached at the top. He said it's the smoothest, quietest airflow he's ever experienced. The unique thing is that it's attached to the original S1000XR screen mounting bracket. That bracket is truly the icing on the cake. It's multiple cast parts that can tilt and go up and down while riding. Just reach out and bump it to whatever position you want. It moves with minimum effort and stays where you put it. I looked it up on Bike Bandit and it's a $366 dollar BMW oem part. I plan to take another look at mounting options for that bracket on the F700. MRA sells the standard vario screen that mounts directly to the bolt pattern for the oem F700 screen. If I could adapt the S1k bracket to the F700, I could order the tall MRA vario screen to fit the S1k and end up with the adjustable MRA on my bike. Projected cost would be $350 for the screen and $366 for the bracket. I'm going to see if my friend will swap rides so I can verify the comfort of his screen setup. He, like many others, has spent a lot on many screen iterations that didn't work. I figure if this works as well as he suggests, the cost will be worth it. Other than a seat upgrade I have nothing else to spend my money on, so why not. Will update on this if it goes forward.

S1k screen bracket link:
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2016-bmw-s1000xr-windshield-adjustment/o/m157915sch951741

·
Registered
127 Posts
The Madstad bracket and making an adapter to OEM screen has been tempting me, would get laminar flow and not get hugeish screen.
If we just space out the stock screen we don't have much of a smooth surface underneath for a good flow.

https://madstad.com/products/bmw-f700gs

Didn't catch they had a 12" and up screen (they recommended 22" for my height, but can't do that), so maybe no need for adapting OEM screen.
Last day for 10% off is tempting but, nope not till Friday.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Correct. The Madstad worked fantastic on my previous Tiger 800 XCX, but absolutely no change from the oem BMW screen on my F700. Essentially it changed nothing except looks on the bike. But, try it if you want since it may work for you. Save all of the packaging for returning it. Worst case is paying for shipping it back. My recent return via USPS was $30. Best case, it works great.

The XCX model also had an optional heavy duty off road support bracket which kept it from shaking and bouncing in the wind and over bumps. It shook a lot on the F700 with no support option. Tewster, who did the Alaska trip report, returned his Madstad mainly due to excessive flexing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
They said F700GS mounts can't support the weight of the bar, so we get none. They are afraid of added accessories making it worse.

Thanks for that note.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So the following pictures are of my very first bike! It took me 35 years to actually own my very own bike and to be quite honest I had never truly ridden a bike until I purchased this bike! Its a 2013 BMW F700gs and I love her very much. I've grown to know my baby girl and my kids are very much in love with my bike as well. I have invested quite a bit so far into her and look forward to investing more to make her a very comfortable and long lived bike. View attachment MY BIKE PICS.pdf

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Gunther - Forgive me for such a late response - I just noticed this - We'll to be quite honest I love the handling of my bike! I am super short @ 5'4 and I don't have a lowered model and I don't use the low seat either. I have the super low seat as the seller of the bike through it in as a part of the deal but I use the cushioned seat which sits up higher and I'm still very confident on this bike! At times I feel It's a little too small and that I want a bigger bike to be quite honest. I've ridden the R1200 the lowered model and it was AMAZING! There was a BMW Demo at a dealership here in town, I just don't have 20K to drop on a motorcycle. I'm very fortunate that my bike is paid for but I really enjoy it. I've just invested in a top case - the cost for these cases are ridiculous if you ask me. I mean 300-600 dollars for some plastic and aluminum boxes....?! Really?!?! Absurd! Anyways - if you ask me I say GO FOR IT! The bike is amazing - It's small, agile, handles great,, has plenty of power and spunk, and certainly a great bike for short guys like you and me!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Hey Gunther - Forgive me for such a late response - I just noticed this - We'll to be quite honest I love the handling of my bike! I am super short @ 5'4 and I don't have a lowered model and I don't use the low seat either. I have the super low seat as the seller of the bike through it in as a part of the deal but I use the cushioned seat which sits up higher and I'm still very confident on this bike! At times I feel It's a little too small and that I want a bigger bike to be quite honest. I've ridden the R1200 the lowered model and it was AMAZING! There was a BMW Demo at a dealership here in town, I just don't have 20K to drop on a motorcycle. I'm very fortunate that my bike is paid for but I really enjoy it. I've just invested in a top case - the cost for these cases are ridiculous if you ask me. I mean 300-600 dollars for some plastic and aluminum boxes....?! Really?!?! Absurd! Anyways - if you ask me I say GO FOR IT! The bike is amazing - It's small, agile, handles great,, has plenty of power and spunk, and certainly a great bike for short guys like you and me!
Hey Joey, no problem for your reply, just think that I've just read it now, by chance [:I].
My R is still going great, so the 700GS option is... still an option for the future. I think that the lack of power could be solved with an "upgrade" of the ECU, and with some serious suspensions, the 700 could become even more interesting for the passes in the Alps [:D]

·
Registered
801 Posts
Rightsby, Nice bike just wondering if your still around,,.
If like what you did with the triple stripe on the nose and tail section,,. If your around and happen to see this I would appreciate hearing the details,,.
Is it paint or decals and where did you source the material?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I got a DynaPlug air pump last month, so that I can air down when I get to dirt roads, then bring the pressure back up when I have to return home on pavement.

Font Input device Gadget Audio equipment Liquid

Last year I attached a small waterproof "top case" to my rack, and decided to rotate it 90° to free up space on the Immix rack. Mounted the DynaPlug case on the side, behind the left turn signal:

Automotive tire Hood Tire Light Wheel

(Yes, those are foam earplugs at the back of the rack; the slot is a perfect place to stash them when I am off the bike.)

Arrgh! Wrong bike. That's the XT225!

181 - 200 of 206 Posts