BMW F800 Forum banner

Shortened signals

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  14ADV 
#1 ·
I think that amycyclenut posted up that she'd shortened the front signals on her F8R. So inspired, I set about doing the same thing. This is strictly a cosmetic mod. I'll concede that it's possible that your front conspicuity is reduced by the signals being closer to the centerline, but it's not like they're running lights (at least not as they're set up at the moment). I'd done this on my Buell by swapping the OE signals for LED rears that were narrower. On the BMW, it's a matter of changing the signal base. Apologies for the crappy pictures; I'll try to get a better "after" picture outside.

Here is the original signal, with the new shorter base on top for reference:

Automotive tire Cable Auto part Wire Electrical wiring

Here's the new signal on the left (bike right), OE on the right:

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

And now both shorties:

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank Motor vehicle

The base is a BMW part: 63 13 7 687 008. You'll need two. I don't know what the original application of the part is. You can probably reverse look-up and find out. Installation is easy:

1) Remove the signal lens. (Small Phillips screw at the back outer end of the housing.
2) Remove the reflector/bulb assembly. This needs to slide straight forward. You'll have to pry it a little to get it started, but you don't want to break the tabs on the inner end. Use a small screwdriver at each end to get it started, then you can pull it out.
3) Remove the wires from the back of the reflector (note wire position/polarity).
4) Remove the signal housing from the signal base.
5) Remove the Torx screw that attaches the base to the fork trim piece. It then comes off by rotating it 180°.
6) Install the new base, threading the wires through.
7) Slip the wires into the signal housing, and push the housing onto the base.
8} Attach the wires to the reflector.
9) When you push the reflector (straight) back into the signal housing, there is a slotted tab that engages a groove in the signal base. It won't go in the groove if you don't have the housing pushed all the way on. Give the housing a tug once the reflector's in place to make sure things are attached.
10) Replace the lens.

Old carpentry tip: Before you reattach the signal lens, drag the screw along a bar of soap to get some soap into the threads. The screw will turn in much smoother, without the gawdawful creaking you heard when you took it off. Be careful to not over-tighten it, since it goes in easier. Neither of mine were turned all the way in from the factory, so you could pull the lens forward, causing a gap. Not anymore.

Repeat for the other side. Enjoy your handiwork!

[ride]

See less See more
#3 ·
Great tip Offcamber and nice write-up and pics, thanks.

As it's not specific for the R and noteworthy for future reference I would like to move it to the Hall-of-Wisdom section, but lets just run it here for a while because it will not get as much attention there.

#5 ·
Easy:
1) The BMW LED signals are really small. LEDs are very directional. I'm not convinced that they're not too small to be adequately visible to other traffic. The Buell LED signals I used were slightly smaller than the the OE bulb units, but much brighter.
2) The BMW LED signals are right expensive, especially if you buy four. This mod was relatively inexpensive, and only involved two parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.