BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched on the forum for a DIY but couldn't find it. It's been a year since the 600 mile service...have about 4,000 now and want to do an oil change. Will pick up the oil and filter at the dealer, but does anyone have a DIY that shows where the drain plug is? And do I need a filter wrench? Is the capacity on the 800ST 3 liters with a filter change? Should I fill the filter with oil before installing? Any other tips? Thanks.

· Registered
284 Posts
I searched on the forum for a DIY but couldn't find it. It's been a year since the 600 mile service...have about 4,000 now and want to do an oil change. Will pick up the oil and filter at the dealer, but does anyone have a DIY that shows where the drain plug is? And do I need a filter wrench? Is the capacity on the 800ST 3 liters with a filter change? Should I fill the filter with oil before installing? Any other tips? Thanks.
check the hall of wisdom.

If you still can't find it I can walk you through it. :D

edit: found it: http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9207

· Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
check the hall of wisdom.

If you still can't find it I can walk you through it. :D

edit: found it: http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9207
Great, thanks. Didn't show up on search. I noticed this is in the 'old' hall of wisdom.

Oh, another question, it mentions you can buy a filter tang at local parts stores...is that the same as the filter tool in the DIY pictured?

· Premium Member
11,387 Posts
Note that some have had problems with over tight filters and drain plugs.
The socket for the drain plug should be a 6 sided one.
The oil filter may take some abuse to remove.
You don't need to tighten so tight when you put it back.

· Premium Member
4,543 Posts
be careful with the drain plug, its so damn slim and easy(at least for me) to strip. Im on my 4th one, and it got stripped the other day when i went to changed my oil. im using a damn socket too, i dont know what it is with me and these things, id really like to see them make the plug a bit larger.

· Premium Member
11,387 Posts
One trick worth checking:

Many of the sockets are made with a bevelled edge to help the socket locate as you push it on.
This however means there's less contact area touching the actual bolt edges.
The cure is to grind the socket opening down flat until 6 clean sharp edges can be seen.
This will ensure maximum contact area (make sure to skim the outside edge slightly to dress off the sharp edge or you'll cut yourself.)

Reactions: Superduper

· Registered
142 Posts
be careful with the drain plug, its so damn slim and easy(at least for me) to strip. Im on my 4th one, and it got stripped the other day when i went to changed my oil. im using a damn socket too, i dont know what it is with me and these things, id really like to see them make the plug a bit larger.
it's the largest drain plug i've seen so far! on any of my bikes. very easy to use.

· Registered
284 Posts
I've been taught to put some oil in the filter prior to putting it on (this would be included in the 3 liters total that you add), which I did not see in the video. It might not be necessary, though. Also, I think the manual states to check the oil while the bike is on the center stand, not the side stand, as shown at the end of that clip.

· Registered
1,045 Posts
I've been taught to put some oil in the filter prior to putting it on (this would be included in the 3 liters total that you add), which I did not see in the video. It might not be necessary, though. Also, I think the manual states to check the oil while the bike is on the center stand, not the side stand, as shown at the end of that clip.
Yes, it should be on the centre stand or held vertically. Also, it's important that the bike be fully warmed up when measuring the oil level.

Cheers,
Andreas

· Premium Member
4,642 Posts
I know Pat mentions it but want to stress (if you have not changed the oil before..) not to overtighten the filter. I made that mistake once on another bike a few years back when I was interupted while putting the new filter on. I tightened it enough that it put a little chink in the gasket and when I tested and brought the rpms up - it spit oil all over the place. Learned my lesson....

· Registered
10 Posts
tightening and such

Someone had asked about 1) filling the filter and 2) reusing a drain plug gasket. It is not necessary to put oil in the filter when installing. The oil pressure is going to come up to normal in less than a second and, having been a professional mechanic for years, I have never heard of any manufacturer recommending that the filter be filled prior to installation.

As far as the drain plug gasket is concerned, it is under zero pressure and consequently will seal readily even if re-used. I have re-used such gaskets over and over again with no leakage at all, ever. Although a torque spec is given for virtually everything on the F800, some of them are meaningless. Tightening the drain plug to "snug" without a torque wrench is going to work just fine as they are never going to come loose on their own. And, the removal torque is always going to be higher than the installation torque.

· Registered
221 Posts
Could you video that for us sometime? In 40 years of changing oil in bikes, cars, boats, ATVs, and whatever, I've never stripped a drain plug, and I consider myself a completely amateur do it yourselfer.

· Registered
21 Posts
I use a filter wrench that fits anything. It's a plastic handle with a toggle that supports a large semi hard rubber strip that goes back into the handle. When you pull down on the handle, it swivels and tightens around and grips the filter, or other round object securely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts