BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
I installed a unit from Hornig for the F800GT. It came with an original harness/resistor that threw a lamp error. I had to purchase a replacement resistor unit that solved the problem.

The issue here was that, despite advertising an error-free unit, Hornig refused the warranty because I "didn't buy the unit from them". I had bought it from AdvDepot.com and had the receipt but they are no longer a Hornig dealer (still selling old stock) and didn't have any "no warranty applies" info.

· Registered
490 Posts
I'm not familiar with the tail light assembly on the S and ST but if it's a traditional incandescent, have you tried to find an LED bulb replacement that is has the resistor built in? I've found them for other applications/bikes/cars/etc.

· Registered
783 Posts
Has anyone investigated whether the ZFE can be set to power an led taillight? I think that given that the GSs have an led as standard that it's likely possible.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
It can be done with MotoScan app. Whether that stops an error coming back if a replacement LED bulb is used instead of an halogen I can't say, it would depend on whether the LED replacement bulb drew similar power to the OEM optional extra LED rear lamp unit for both tail and stop functions.

· Registered
526 Posts
It can be done with MotoScan app. Whether that stops an error coming back if a replacement LED bulb is used instead of an halogen I can't say, it would depend on whether the LED replacement bulb drew similar power to the OEM optional extra LED rear lamp unit for both tail and stop functions.
Exactly. I was just wondering if anyone had done it successfully.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried one from Kissan but it burnt out, I sent it back, they said it was the wrong one and they sent me an LED one that also didn’t work. I see a lot on Amazon but I can’t figure out which bulb will fit the ST, which are CNbus compatible, and which need resisters. Can anyone recommend a tail/brake light in Amazon that plugs in with no issues?

· Administrator
5,377 Posts
The biggest "issue" I have with replacing the halogen bulbs on my GT with LED bulbs is the need for a resistor to create a load on the circuit and keep the CANBUS happy. The headlights get away with it because they have a pretty decent draw anyway. But turn signals and brake lights seem to require a resistor.

I totally understand how putting LED lights in places like the brake light might be beneficial for the longevity. But it doesn't seem to be any benefit towards gaining any electrical capacity for use elsewhere.

Chris

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know some bulbs have resistors built in and others are external and some say CANbus error free. Any suggestions or have you heard of others having a problem free experience with any particular tail bulb?

· Administrator
5,377 Posts
No suggestions. I looked into it briefly and decided it wasn't worth the effort for me.

I checked at my dealership and to swap out the turn signal and brake light bulbs and get the CANBUS to accept them without errors, was going to cost me well over $100...just to have them hook up their computer.

And when I realized I could get LED bulbs and no errors...but only with a resistor that mimicked the electrical load, I gave up on that idea. It didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Chris

· Registered
31 Posts
You inspired me tonight to install the amber turn LED bulbs and resistors I had laying on my bench. I bought the LED bulbs and resistors on Amazon, links below. The LED bulb bases were the same except for the location of the locking pins. I didn't notice until tonight that they are clocked differently. But that didn't stop them from going into the plastic reflector and twist-locking into place. The reflector is easily removed by disconnecting the miniature spade terminals. I tried to solder the resistor into place but the metal in the light fixture wouldn't take solder. So instead I soldered some 26 gauge stranded wire to the resistor and then folded the stripped end of the wire though the hole in the reflector terminal. This way when the terminal is pushed back on it captures and locks the wire in place. I uploaded a video to show the before and after to go with the pictures.

LED lights Amazon item B0739RCR3J
Resistors Amazon item B07RS4SL7D

Video:

Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Finger Automotive lighting

Finger Household hardware Gas Button Circle

Sports equipment Bicycle part Automotive design Hood Rim

Dog Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel Tire

· Administrator
5,377 Posts
So Tim...what was the purpose or advantage to you in going to all this trouble? I'm just trying to convince myself to move to LED lights, and I can't see the advantage yet.

Chris

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmm. I was hoping that there was a resistor I could slip into the socket or something. If I have to solder the damn thing on, I’ll pass and wait for an all-in-one package like the blinkers.

· Registered
31 Posts
Hmm. I was hoping that there was a resistor I could slip into the socket or something. If I have to solder the damn thing on, I'll pass and wait for an all-in-one package like the blinkers.
The only 'all in one' (resistor in the bulb) RY10W / BAU15S LED bulb I have seen is from Inertia and cost $25 each if you can find them. 4x times more cost. Soldering takes me 2 minutes so no big deal.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the reference. I checked on Amazon and they are unfortunately out of stock. It looks like a blinker bulb not a tail/brake bulb, though. I use to solder pipes when I was a Plumber’s apprentice back on the day, but no soldering gun or supplies these days.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts