BMW F800 Forum banner

install a USB port

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Josep Maria 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, new to the forum and new to my showroom condition twelve year old F800ST.
I want to fit a USB connector to the bike and I understand there is an accessory connector under the centre trim panel. I guess my questions are, is this correct and is their a plug available which will allow me to wire the USB socket directly to this.?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can give me[:)]

#2 ·
The accessory socket is on the side of the bike.

Under the centre trim, normally taped to the battery cable (right hand side IIRC) is the GPS socket, there is a plug available from (among others) Nippy Normans.

#3 ·
Install a USB

Thanks for that. Am I correct in thinking that the right hand accesory socket is the one I plug the battery charger into?
I guess the GPS socket under the centre trim is the one to use?
Thanks for the guidance. Its appreciated
The accessory socket is on the side of the bike.

Under the centre trim, normally taped to the battery cable (right hand side IIRC) is the GPS socket, there is a plug available from (among others) Nippy Normans.

#6 ·
I used the GPS power supply as a trigger for a 5amp solid state relay, then took a new supply from the battery through the relay to my USB port which I installed on the dash panel just to the left of the rev counter.
That way it is only powered up when the key is on and for a few seconds after the key is turned off, so I can never get a flat battery by leaving something plugged in to the USB port
Good luck with your new bike, my ST is a 2008, done 53k and going well, a great bike for this old timer [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.