BMW F800 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Premium Member
Same here, I start the bike, put helmet and gloves on and ride at low revs until engine is at normal temperature.
Hoping my F800 lasts as long as Pat H's馃
I consider low revs to be just under the redline :)

Reactions: MGD109

Premium Member
But seriously its more about load than raw revs. keep in lower gears and keep the load low, even if the revs need to be a bit higher. Don't "lug" the engine.

Registered
Absolutely!

Until the bike warms up it is good to go easy on the throttle and be gentle...on the F800 the temperature gauge is a good way to know when the engine is getting up to full operating temperature. I do the same as you and let the bike run for less than a minute before I gently ride off. It also helps the tires to warm up and get ready for action.

If I wash the bike I never put it away wet - water can stay in the radiator, on top of the engine case, under the seat and other hidden places for days or weeks and cause corrosion. I always ride the bike for 10-15 minutes after a wash to blow and cook the water out.

And as I said earlier - I never start the bike and let it idle. If I am not going riding - I don't fire the bike up!

Premium Member
Sadly for many years, and when parked at work, my bike lived in the rain and snow so collected water almost daily.
The well behind the barrels under the throttle bodies is corroded but then again it matches the rest of the engine anyway!

Reactions: MGD109

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've always started the bike for a minute or two as I finish putting gloves one etc and then setting off. Within 2 minutes I'm doing 70mph on a dual carriage way.
Som I never warm the bike just jump on and ride. Take it a bit easier for the first few minutes. The bike is now over 133000 miles and still running well.
You're one of the original's on this site Pat and I've always appreciated your humor and real experienced advise. An F800 Icon!

Reactions: Pat H
21 - 26 of 26 Posts