BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Bumper Fender
Air gun Automotive tire Bumper Trigger Bicycle part
Lowering the stand by 50mm helped but did not entirely ease the effort required to get the bike on the stand unaided. I'm just not heavy or strong enough these days. In desperation I increased the lever moment of the foot tang by slipping a piece of 40X40 light gauge stainless RHS over the tang and bingo! It works! Not pretty I guess, but sometimes the simplest solutions work just fine.
I can keep the bit in my topbox, it doesn't weigh much, or leave it around the workshop. I'm happy.
Cheers, IanA

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Lowering the stand by 50 mm? For the metrically challenged, that would be two inches. I am surprised a stand that much shorter would even raise the bike off the ground. Was this done by cutting and welding? I too am unable to raise the bike ('14 GT) onto the center stand. I like the extension idea.

Reactions: IanA

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi James,

I forgot to mention that the bike was lowered about 40 mm from new, front and rear, using a full Wilbers kit. This of course made it even more difficult to raise the bike than with the OEM spec. I had to shorten the side stand as well, as you can see in the pix. The centre stand you see there is actually an ST stand that I had from my old bike that was stolen in 2019 (the bastards didn't get everything!) I thought I would practice the cut n shut on it first, in case I stuffed it up. It worked so well that I now have a brand new GT stand left over should I need it, to go with the OEM springs, and rear shock unit complete. I documented the stand shortening exercise somewhere in these pages, I'll post the link (if I can find it!)
Cheers, IanA

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't find the link so here's a few pix reposted. Note I cut the 50mm bits out of the perpendicular legs below the crossbar only. I figured that cutting the angled parts of the leg would result a displaced joint, and alignment probs. I turned up a bit of rod to spigot the joint, which made aligning and strengthening the (Tig) welded joint dead easy.
I'm sure you can work it out!
Cheers, Ian A

Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bicycle tire
Bicycle part Gas Font Composite material Metal
Bicycle part Natural material Wood Electric blue Composite material

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a bit tangential, but addresses the issue of those of us who are no longer hardy enough to reliably muscle our GT onto the centerstand. For many years, the BMW airheads had a handy grip handle below the seat at exactly the right place to assist in getting the bike on the centerstand. I have replicated that by carrying a 24" length of nylon strap in my tankbag. Loop it around the passenger footpeg supports on the frame, and voila, a handle at just the right place. It's inexpensive, light, doesn't scratch the frame or take up much room in the tankbag, and is as useful as can be.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
The square tubing idea works for me. I bought a 12" long piece of tubing online from Grainger https://www.grainger.com/. It still takes considerable effort to raise the bike on the center stand, but before the tubing trick, I couldn't even get close.

This is what I bought: 1.5" x 0.065"Stainless Square Tube 304 Welded The tubing is sold by the foot, so the quantity as listed on the packing slip is 1.0000. The total cost, tubing and shipping was $28.05.

Thanks Ian!

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, James. I love it when a plan comes together! I don't know what Klaus from ze Drawing Department was thinkink when he devised this item, OK maybe it was a Friday afternoon...
I'm glad you may have escaped the stand shortening exercise, I don't think I had a choice with my lowered bike. I did try the strap handle idea brought up by NeverGiveUp, but Nah, it was still a deadlift situation.
I have access to lots of scrap metal so if I have nothing to do one day I might try some 1 1/2" aluminum RHS to look at other options.
Cheers, IanA

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I did find a bit of aluminum (aluminium in Queen's English!) square tube to fit - it works just fine, and is lighter.

All booked to go to Tasmania for the 2022 BMW TS Safari end of October. Won't have to ask for help getting the GT on the center (centre) stand now. Hooray!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a little difficulty parking using the center elevator with my New to me 07 ST.
So, after 5 or 6 unsuccessful tries, I got my ST up, but all I could get to happen trying to get it down was for it
to move about 6-8 inches forward every time I lunged forward trying to get it off the center elevator lift thingy.
I made about 3 feet forward 6" at a time acting like a kid on a jumping horse and thought --- this ain't workin.

Humm....started her up put it in first, rocked to the back and popped the clutch. Screech, repeat, Screech, repeat.
Couldn't get the darn thing to wheelie off the stand. Just enough traction to put the nose down and rear wheel in the air.
Naw, it's ok, I ain't afraid of wheelies.

Hmmmm....So, out to the car, got the scissors jack out and jacked it up enough to get the center elevator shaft to give
up. Was kinda "rockin" ...Well, the center stand came up and the bike came down... off the jack that is.
Wow, that's a heavy beast. bout crushed the wife. She's up in years and ain't as fast as she once was.
Well, we got it off her without it getting a scratch. But I'm pretty sure she don't want to do that again.

So, I'm thinking I'll get one of those electric jacks like on a motor home they use for leveling up and my problems will be over.
You see, I've got a do that cause the side stand is too short if I'm on any type of slope or soft ground.
And the wife's getting tired of holding her up.

I'll let you know how it works.
Wait a minute....you know how them legs fold out on the back of a back hoe?....

·
Administrator
11,366 Posts
I have had similar problems getting my R1200RS off of its center stand when parked in my garage. It would slide forward along the stand's feet without rolling off. I completlely solved the problem with a hard rubber sheet bought off of Amazon that I now park my bike on top of. Now the stand's feet stick to the rubber and the bike rolls right off the stand. Just remember to be sure to get a hard rubber pad and not one that is padded and made more for walking on. If you do that the stand will destroy the pad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts