BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So at the age of 56, I have decided to make my ST more T than S.

I have looked through the various forums and decided upon 3 mods to make it less of a strain on the back/wrists, whilst at the same time (hopefully) improving on its aesthetics.

At present my ST is a 2012 stock version, other than the introduction of a Booster Plug which has helped enormously at low speeds, and a Kappa rear rack conversion which means the much more practical Givi/Kappa top boxes now fit. The bike is still poor at low speeds in my opinion, and I know I'm not alone in this view, but it still ticks most of the boxes for me. Great fuel economy, gear shift indicator, good luggage system, less than 200kg, heated grips, underseat petrol tank and best of all belt drive.

The modifications I plan to make are as follows:

1) Replace the handlebars with LSL Superbike bars, cut to match the width of the stock bars to help keep the mirrors clear. I intend to use the directions supplied by Helibars to re-route the cables and pipes without having to replace them. If the rerouting is not aesthetically pleasing I will find other solutions.

2) To modify the 'pee pot' bouncing brake reservoir off its bracket and down on top of the master cylinder (aesthetics only) using BMW OEM parts. Nice and neat.

3) I am 6ft and so will replace the stock screen with a taller, less acute angled aftermarket screen.

I am expecting 1 and 3 above to put the rider in a much more relaxed position on the bike with less buffeting. We shall see.

If anyone is particularly interested in any of the above I will take pics as I go and share.

Wish me luck.

· Pope Flook
9,509 Posts
Sounds good.

For screen, how about the Madstad screen, this can be adjusted to any angle you like also you can raise and lower it as required.

Bar riser/back, lifts the bar and brings it back for better posture position on bike.

Replace the tinny horn with twin 119db ones, sounds great.

For better seat comfort an AirHawk pad, saves your arse from getting tired and less legs aik for distance travel.

A hugger for your rear wheel, this tidies it up and saves your rear end getting all crappy from road debris.

Hope these ideas helps, I have done these on my ST, makes riding more comfy and enjoyable.

Flook:cool:

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Flook, thanks for your comments. I want the bike to look as stock as possible but with my mods, so new bars and a better clear screen for starters. I already have the pyramid hugger which has merged into the bike so well I forgot I had it!

· Pope Flook
9,509 Posts
How about your horn, is it that tinny one? If so the upgrade to the 119db ones make a real difference to the sound blast[:D].

I mentioned the Madstad screen as you said "will replace the stock screen with a taller, less acute angled aftermarket screen". The Madstad fits that bill for the angle. Plus with being a taller person the hight can be adjusted so the wind is deflected above your helmet. If you have a flip helmet as I do, you would be able to ride at speeds of 60/70 mph easily with the flip up.

Question, when you fill up your tank, what is the distance you travel before you have to fill up again? I am regularly riding over 200 miles (UK) distance on 11/12 litres of fuel. The bikes capacity is 16 litres, so that leaves a hell of a lot more miles, I reckon around 75+ more if I went to the near distance. But the price here for fuel in the UK is extremely high at present, so I try to keep costs down, and that sort of level to fill up now costs around the £20 mark, where as before it cost around the £14/£15 mark.

So I now ride to a cost, not to how many maximum miles can I do.

PS where are you, you have not stated, I assume the USA?

Flook
:cool:

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Flook,

No, I'm here in the UK. SE London.

My bike has cost me the best part of £25 the last 2 times I filled it. I've never actually run it from full to empty but the average mpg never really wavers from 64. I wonder if your fuel gauge is the same as mine where it registers full for most of the time and then drops like a stone before hitting reserve?

Yep, the horn is a bit tinny and not very loud, and I can never find the button when I want it! Thanks for the steer on the madstad screen. I've ordered myself a touring screen from slipscreens. Its much higher and more upright so I'm hoping the wind will go up and over a bit more.

P

· Pope Flook
9,509 Posts
Does your ST have a range setting? it should do.

I constantly have mine on that setting. It tells me how I am doing fuel wise to distance. I know that once I hit around the 147 mark and shows miles done also 147 then it decreases, but, over the last few months it has started to decrease around the 158 mark. The warning low fuel mark comes on around 60 miles to go and is quite accurate.

What part South East London are you? Also it helps us on this site to know where members are so they can give more personal knowledge - for instance your in the UK so that will help you with others in the UK.

I advise first thing sort out your horn, get a pair from Nippy Normans here in the UK, second hand stuff from MotorWorks, both decent to deal with. But Motorworks you can speak to direct, they give great advice.

I do not go by MPG, I fill in litres, but most of all I take note and re-set the trip each time when I fill up.

It is a shame you do not live in the Anglia region as I have started a group from here, and we are on FB under Anglian F800 Riders, we have not been on FB long. We are mainly WhatsApp based for fast communications, and have had a few successful meetings including last Sunday at Cafe33 Stradishall where eight members turned up including myself. Our new member Dev could not make it and our old friend from this site, a well respected F8 rider, PatH also could not make it due to a broken elbow. He did not fall off his bike though.

Photos are available via FB and the Groups section via the community banner above.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Flook,

I forgot to mention that I fill up usually with E5 and so that might explain why I'm getting in nearly £25 worth. Like you I have a fairly fixed setting on my dash which is Tyre pressures and mpg. As soon as the fuel gauge drops from full to half - which it seems to do like a step I think about filling up.

Do you happen to know how many miles you can go on reserve (is the warning fuel mark you mention), It then helpfully starts counting up miles from 0. I tend to only go a very few miles so I'd be curious to know?

ps. I'm in Catford/Lewisham

· Pope Flook
9,509 Posts
I fill up with what ever is the cheapest, and still get a good mileage.

Reserve is when the warning light comes on, if you have a range setting it may well be around the 60 miles mark when it comes on. That is usually accurate. I admit it depends on how one rides the bike for the fuel economy. If I thrash it through the gears then I expect a marked drop of distance down to around that of a sports bike 150ish miles.

Have you looked at the Anglian F800 riders yet?? It had crossed my mind if you like riding your bike I could invite you as a guest to one of the meetings. You will find a list of the meetings on FB.

It would help if you put London in with your settings, you do not have to be specific, although I have, but I now live in a small country village in Northamptonshire. Although I do come from London, Shepherds Bush way as a lad in the 60's era of Mods and Rockers.

Flook[8D]

· Registered
945 Posts
I set up my ST as a tourer and commuter. Unfortunately for you, one of the key ingredients, crash bars, are no longer available to be bought. I've done two, 1000-mile days, along with nine, 850-mile days. I've used it on many long road trips, while camping most nights. My longest trip was last summer which totaled 6500 miles over 16 days. Here's what I have done to it:

1. Russell Daylong seat. can't say enough great things about it. Expensive, but worth every penny.
2. Highway pegs mounted to the crash bars
3. 2-inch Rox knockoff risers about 45 degrees up and back
4. MRA Vario tinted windscreen screen. I added a bunch of spacers to angle it much steeper than stock. I come from a sport bike background, so I like full wind on my helmet.
5. Handguards. They help keep the bugs off my hands and the cold off my fingers in winter
6. Heated jacket liner and gloves (both Gerbing)
7. RAM phone mount and USB charger outlet
8. 10 degree LED spot lights mounted to crash bars
9. Shad SH45 topcase and stock BMW side ones
10. Big Drypac waterproof bag with hard bottom to strap to back seat
11. Stebel Nautilus horn
12. Throttlemeister throttle lock
13. Front and rear dash cam / DVR
14. Fuzeblock for all my electrical accessories

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow 6500 miles is a LOT. No wonder you went for a full on aftermarket seat!

I stripped a chuck of my bike down today in readiness for the new bars and am keen to know if you needed to re-route the clutch cable when you put the bar risers on. I've repositioned the brake line and the throttle cable, but the clutch cable seems to be routed about as well as it can be. The helibars instructions seem to have the cable coming up the same side as the lever.... maybe I'm misunderstanding it but I defo don't want to do that.

New bars are slightly wider and although I plan to cut them down I don't think I'll be able to get them quite as short because of the control length, Grrrrr!

· Registered
945 Posts
That 6500 mile trip was special since I went out to the west coast here in the USA to meet up with a friend who also rides. The first and last 1000 miles were super boring! Most of my annual touring trips are 3000-4000 miles over 9-14 days. My wife hates that I'm gone that long, so that one trip was a really big deal for all of us. I used the BMW MOA (Motorcycle Owners of America) national rally in northern Montana as an excuse to head out that direction. Plus, I'm a college professor, so I get summers off work :)

I wish I had a a straight answer for your routing question, but I've rerouted all my cables several times over the years, so I don't know where they were originally. My first risers were 28mm SW Motech. Then I redid things when I added the big ones I have on there now. Additionally, I've had my front end off twice now doing steering head bearings, and had the engine front-side apart (radiator, valve cover) doing the valve clearance check. For me, the limiting factor was always the brake line, but my "old" 08' doesn't have ABS, so that saves me an inch or so. I created a little bracket that screws into the lower yoke that holds the brake line splitter up and to the right to gain me another extra inch so I didn't need a brake line extender for my risers.

I just took a look at mine, and my clutch cable goes around the stem on the opposite side of the lever, but immediately curls back that direction toward the clutch side of the bike. It still attaches to the original little clamp that holds it above the radiator.

As far as your new handlebars, I would say longer the better. One of my few complaints about this bike is the vibration, so longer bars and heavier bar ends should help. I've added lead tape weights and wheel balancing weights to my bar ends along with Beemer Buddies grip wraps to help extend the time before my fingers go numb.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Flook,

No not looked at the Anglian F800 riders yet. Got my hands full with a brand new dog!! Very much looking forwards to getting the new bits on my bike and taking it out. I will report back. Thanks for all of your input so far. P

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks ccramerisc, I've just got back from a Vegas to Yellowstone road trip with my daughter via about 10 parks and 7 states. It was HOT, but beautiful and we had a great time. I imagined what it might be like on a bike and realised that it would be too hot for me, maybe in the cooler months. I have 2 friends and our ambition is to buy 3 Enfields and ride the across the top of Europe and down through Asia to Australia. I retired at Christmas, just waiting for the other 2 now!

· Registered
72 Posts
Sounds good.

For screen, how about the Madstad screen, this can be adjusted to any angle you like also you can raise and lower it as required.

Bar riser/back, lifts the bar and brings it back for better posture position on bike.

Replace the tinny horn with twin 119db ones, sounds great.

For better seat comfort an AirHawk pad, saves your arse from getting tired and less legs aik for distance travel.

A hugger for your rear wheel, this tidies it up and saves your rear end getting all crappy from road debris.

Hope these ideas helps, I have done these on my ST, makes riding more comfy and enjoyable.

Hello, Flook!
I'm not familiar with the rear wheel hugger you mentioned. Where would I find something like that and is it easy to install?
Also, I like the idea of a louder horn. Did you install a BMW horn?
Thanks!

· Registered
12 Posts
Have an 09 ST I got used in 2010 with high bars & 3000 miles on the odo. First thing I did was put a higher windscreen on it. Kept it that way and now it has 80k on it and a dozens of rallies under it's 'belt'. What I really wished for was a more forward foot rest (but not highway pegs). On the stock pegs the toes point down so it negates having them up higher for clearance, so I'm not sure why BMW did this except to torture us. A more forward peg would have brought the toe up and actually made for more clearance. Ah well. As for mpg I kept meticulous track for months and no difference between premium (92 oct.) & regular (88 oct.). On both I averaged 54 mpg usually going 75 mph. I did one 1000 mile day and it was on my F650CS. It was fun and in my opinion it handled even better than the ST. Though my butt was nearly paralyzed afterwards but a couple of beers brought it back to life.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts