BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

As mentioned in previous post I do have a few issues so thought I'd make separate posts for them.

This one concerns the high beam - a couple of months after buying the bike the high beam stopped working, I tried a new bulb which didn't work and when taking the bike in for MOT (UK) the mechanic told me he wasn't able to fix it due to BMW CANBUS technology and that he expected it would start working again soon. Almost a year later and its still not working so I'm weighing up a BMW service.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar.

Cheers again

·
Registered
488 Posts
BMO. I'd change mechanics. Canbus is merely the communication system between the bikes main computer (which in BMWspeak is called ZFE) and the bikes various components (lights, engine management etc). The problem could be one of many things....duff connector, broken wire, fitting in the headlight shell damaged, bad switch. A process of elimination is required, starting with the most obvious (switch). It is extremely unlikely to be caused by the canbus system.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If the bulb is known to be good, then its either an issue at the connection end, or the switch.

First off, easy test is to use a multimeter at the connector and see if any power is getting through. If not, trace the wiring back and check for any damage. If this is all good, take apart the switch gear and check the switch contacts, make sure they look good and there's no corrosion. I'd expect that one of these 2 routes should find the problem and offer the fix.

Reactions: gtutunjian

·
Registered
763 Posts
IIRC you can test high beam with MotoScan app (I'll check later today if I get time) it would help locate the problem. If you can light the high beam it would prove ZFE to bulb is OK and strongly point towards a fault in the switch, if the app won't light the high beam then ZFE to bulb must have a fault.

Reactions: gtutunjian

·
Registered
501 Posts
IIRC you can test high beam with MotoScan app (I'll check later today if I get time) it would help locate the problem. If you can light the high beam it would prove ZFE to bulb is OK and strongly point towards a fault in the switch, if the app won't light the high beam then ZFE to bulb must have a fault.
Indeed the GS-911 will switch all of the lights on/off to test their function.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 2013 F800GT. Not sure what the model is that is having this problem. FWIW, in the 8 1/2 years I own this bike (bought new) I would estimate that I had both bulbs working at the same time maybe 25% of the time. Mostly changing the bulb that is out gets it working. For a while. I changed the first bulb myself and ended up breaking a little tab that required changing the complete forward fairing. Luckily covered under warrantee, as the bike was less than a year old. So going forward, whenever I noted a bulb was out I would stop at a dealer while on the road (I travel a lot) and they would change the bulb for about $60. I have always wondered if they were actually changing the bulb, or if there is some fault in the connections that they could manipulate and get the bulb to light. For a while. Why would they do this? In order to get the $60 charge. A less paranoid possibility is that there is a heat build up in the headlight shell that is killing the bulbs. How do I manage this problem? I mounted a dual LED light pod to the front of the fairing. I think it's 100 watts. From Baja Designs.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/wp-cont...001_P04_ANG_A__57435.1640130317.1280.1280.jpg

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
High beam not working

Hi folks,

As mentioned in previous post I do have a few issues so thought I'd make separate posts for them.

This one concerns the high beam - a couple of months after buying the bike the high beam stopped working, I tried a new bulb which didn't work and when taking the bike in for MOT (UK) the mechanic told me he wasn't able to fix it due to BMW CANBUS technology and that he expected it would start working again soon. Almost a year later and its still not working so I'm weighing up a BMW service.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar.

Cheers again
Does the high beam come on with the flash switch? It uses different contacts than the normal high beam switch. If it does, you have a switch problem, if not you could have a ZFE problem or wiring between them or to the bulb.

·
Registered
2011 F800R
4 Posts
I had this problem with the 2011 I recently bought.. after checking there was no power at the bulb plug, I dug into the switch. These switches are notably more complicated than switches of yesteryear bikes (and I've owned several dozen), so getting it apart to the point that you can actually access the switch itself is a bit tricky. There was a little debris inside so cleaning it up with some contact cleaner and compressed air, then lightly lubing the moving parts (as it's also functions as a high flasher). That was all it took, it's been working like new.
One note when you get it opened up, the little flat wire harnesses inside do unplug to allow further access. Be careful with them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts