BMW F800 Forum banner

Do you think this is a good 'Next Bike' following on from the F800GT for Touring

• Yes

• No

• Only if... (Comment Below)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us do at one point or another we think "What would I replace my F800GT with?"
Most of the time its "nothing" as any alternative either has chain drive, small tank, is too sporty, not sporty enough, pannier attachments are ugly, too much/little power ect.... ect... ect....

Having said all this, I think I may have found a genuinely possible contender;
Say hello to the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello;
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Twin cylinder 1000cc producing 115hp, 17 litre tank, shaft drive, integrated luggage attachment, decent electronic wizardry including cruise control, cornering lights......

something you won't hear me say often though is.... I don't like the look of those flaps 馃憖;)

opinions???
(Cast your vote to see the poll results)

Registered
I'm sure this new engine will find its way into the Norge at some point, that would work for me better but maybe not enough to actually spend money. Still more than happy with the FGT 5 years on.

Reactions: Daboo

Administrator
I think the bike looks cool. But from that point, I'm dubious. The cylinder heads are just about where I'd be putting my knees, aren't they? I can imagine the heat I'd have on my legs in 90+F temps. The exhaust pipe looks cool too as it snakes its way down...and near my legs. Hmm...I'm noticing a theme here.

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive tire

But in the winter, that would be an advantage.

Hmm...I'm wondering...what would happen if you dropped your bike? Nothing like sliding it across the pavement at 60 mph, but the kind of low-speed parking lot kind of drop where one second you're up...and the next, you're not. What hits? On my GT, the front turn signals take a beating. Would that cylinder head hit?

The weight is more. The F800GT is 470 lbs wet, compared to 518 lbs I believe I saw. Does that make a difference to you? Your call. I know that on my previous bike, when it was towards the end of the day, I passed on stopping for some pics on the side of the road, simply because I didn't want to handle the extra weight on a narrow shoulder.

It's a "sport touring" bike, like the F800GT...so that means I should be able to take it across the country. In your case Tris, the "country" is a lot smaller. In my case, my travels each summer take me across two-thirds of the Continental USA, from the Continental Divide, west. If it breaks in the middle of Utah...what then? The F800GT is relatively uncomplicated and is probably one of the most reliable models BMW makes.

Lastly, there's the cost. While I can afford the Guzzi, my cheap soul coughs and gasps when I look at how much I'll pay...to get very little benefit or improvement. I already have a bike I've felt comfortable enough to ride for 94,000 miles and it rides and handles like new. The electronic gadgets are just gimmicks to me, and not something that I care about. If my F800GT were to die tomorrow...I'd just go find another.

But I'm not buying the bike. You are. So whatever decision you want to make, is great. :)

Chris

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input Chris, all valid points (y) yes my country is small but hey, quick trip on the channel tunnel and we go and play in Europe :D not looking at changing but you do from time to time think 鈥渨hat鈥檚 next?鈥漚nd open google and start looking. I don鈥檛 think the cornering lights, cruise and rider support systems will be gimmicks (probably owe my life to the traction control on the F8GT on one particular occasion) but those flaps are 100%:poop:. Extra weight, yep, but it鈥檚 fairly marginal and has extra power, decent brakes and low seat so can鈥檛 see it being unwieldy, and up against say a R12xxRS it鈥檚 still a middle weight and still seems to be what I would refer to as a 鈥淩iders Bike鈥 rather than a car with 2 wheels.
Incidentally that鈥檚 the main reason I went for the F8GT, enough power without needing loads of 鈥渁ids鈥 to keep it in check.
The 鈥榬ider mode鈥 is my wrist and that鈥檚 it! (I know the 17> have modes but mine doesn鈥檛) But has ABS and traction control for the moments when you realise your not Rossi鈥.
Has some comfort features such as ESA and heated grips but it鈥檚 still a bike for riding :giggle:
I do long for proper electronic cruise though, a few extra ponies to the rear wheel would be nice too when loaded with luggage and would be great if it could hold another gallon to push 300 on a tank.

Administrator
We're pretty much of the same mind. I told my wife before my first post-retirement ride that I may need to buy a different bike than the F800GT. My thoughts were that I'd find the lack of cruise control to be a major factor. I was thinking in terms of buying a R1200RS. Well, after riding 6000 miles I couldn't find any reason to get rid of the F800GT...including cruise control. About the only time I felt comfortable in using a "cruise control", was out on open flat roads...where a throttle lock worked very well. So much for that being a good excuse to "upgrade". :( And so 92,000 miles later, I still have it. I'll hit 100,000 next year easily, and it'll be a good moment with an old friend. Lot's of memories.

I'm of the belief that the only reason for "modes" is that in the quest for one-up-manship amongst manufacturers, they have produced motorcycles that "normal" humans couldn't get out of a dealer's parking lot without dumping if they didn't have traction control and modes. The F800GT has enough horsepower to get you up to the same speeds sane riders will hit on open roads. A few summers ago, I met up with a group of Canadians who taught me what "fast" really meant. Their intention of Washington state was to get through it as fast as possible on their way to Northern California and Oregon. Their bikes had all been modified to produce about 150-160 hp at the rear wheel. You'd think with a measly 90 hp at the engine, that I couldn't keep up. But it wasn't that hard. You can only go so fast on a curvy road before you run out of traction. And you can only go so fast in a straight line before you realize that a "performance award" at those speeds mean you lose your license and your bike is impounded.

A couple years ago, I was looking like you. I'd get excited for a bit. Then I'd do that bit of a calculation of what improvements I'd find on the new bike....over what my F800GT already gave me. Let's see...I get wings...that's great for showing off in the parking lot to others. I get more horsepower...along with more weight. Hmmm...better tell my mates about the first, and not mention the second. I get rider modes...chances are, I'd leave it in one setting and I'd forget how to change it for when I'd want it changed. And then I'll get about $4000 for my F800GT and the new bike will cost about $16,000...plus dealer prep, shipping, taxes, etc. So it'll cost me $12-13K for ...what? Oh...wings. :D :D :D

But if you want to spend your money...we'll be glad to help you. ;)

Chris

Registered
The lack of cruise control was the only reason I had wanted to switch out a bike after liking the feature so much on my Goldwing. But after installing a McCruise Cruise Control on my V-strom 650 and discovering how well it works, I installed McCruises on my other 2 non-OEM installed cruise control bikes, the Africa Twin and just a few weeks ago the F800GT. Adding electronic cruise control was the very best modification I've done on all 3 bikes. It's not cheap at around $900 USD but It makes riding so much more enjoyable, at least for me. And now I have no desire to go bike shopping any time soon, so adding cruise control actually saved me a lot of money compared with the cost of trading in a bike to get one with OEM cruise control.

As for the new Moto Guzzi. I love the look of the bike. But I've owned many Guzzis and while the engines have been simple and reliable for the most part, a lot of others parts on the bikes were not. I for one would not be getting in line to spend $20,000+ to be a V100 guinea pig with this entirely new engine and gimmicky air spoilers. Much better to wait a few years after actual owners can tell us if all the bugs have been worked out of the design.

Reactions: Tris1993

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have debated spending that colour of cash myself for a proper electronic set up 馃槄 I鈥檓 pleased with your results and enjoyment!
Would make any slugs to Scotland or France a doddle 馃憤馃徎

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The GSX-S1000GT is supposed to ride very well. My issues with it mainly sit in the fact it鈥檚 more sporty (not comfortable for long distances). 4 cylinder (like my twins) Chain drive (just a faff) and too much power at 150 something BHP.
No doubt all the above is ideal for some, but it鈥檚 not what I鈥檇 consider a natural progression from the reasons somebody would buy a F800GT, Thanks for your input 鈽

Administrator
My criteria for a new bike when I was going through the same mental thoughts on "what if" I was to replace my Honda NT700V, was:
  • Engine less than 1000 ccs.
  • Shaft drive.
  • Weight less than 500 lbs.
  • Full fairing.
  • Storage.
The F800GT ended up ticking all those boxes, except for the shaft drive, but the belt drive is a good alternative and maybe even better since the weight isn't nearly as much.

Something about having a high powered car engine in a motorcycle frame, just doesn't excite me. The larger engine means the frame needs to be beefed up, and that affects other components as well. And that means the 500 lb limitation is harder or impossible to stay below. It's like a cascading effect. Breach one of the criteria and it affects the rest. A Ducati Multistrada is an excellent bike, but it also weighs 530 lbs wet. I'll bet components like the brakes are beefed up to handle the 170 hp engine...which is more hp than many of my cars had to move 2 tons of metal in the past.

And this is a personal limitation that I'm sure doesn't apply to any of you, but 170 hp would probably get me killed faster than my current 90 hp will. :D

When I replace my F800GT, I'll probably start with the same criteria once again. :)

Chris

Registered
The Mandello wouldn't be my choice to replace an F800GT.

Where to start? I have had a Guzzi v11-Sport for twenty years. It was my daily rider for the first sixteen. It was been down gently on both sides while riding home from work in the snow with no damage to the cylinders. It has 80,000 on the clock and will probably hit hit 100,000 easily. It has been relegated to third string in my garage. It's a great sport touring bike, but is lucky to get 40 miles to the gallon. It's been stone reliable. Seattle had one of the premier Guzzi dealers in the country. Dave Richardson wrote the book (Guzziology) on all things Guzzi. He closed Moto International and retired to work at the Guzzi museum in Italy. The Guzzi experience just isn't the same anymore to me.

I love the F800GT's gas mileage. I too am installing a McCruise Cruise Control on the F800GT. I still have a couple of long trips to ride. Once I finish those, the F800GT will be sold. I will use my Cagiva Alazzurra 650 for any multi-day trips. It was my daily rider from 1987 to 2001.

The bikes I ride the most are my Zeros. Their range is sufficient for day to day riding. You learn real quickl to use the ECO mode in the rain. 100% torque from 1 RPM (Sport mode) puts you on your ear in the wet before you can react. The next bike in my garage will be a Damon Hypersport; an electric motorcycle with decent range and quick charging.

Registered
Sorry, there are other options if you are willing to give up the big benefits of the f800. the v100 is porky because its a v-twin, the f800 has a much more compact cyl layout. the shaft drive is complex and heavier than a belt drive, lastly its Italian, a real Italian princess....big bucks good looks, = high maintenance like all primadonna's...

Registered
The Mandello wouldn't be my choice to replace an F800GT.
I love the F800GT's gas mileage. I too am installing a McCruise Cruise Control on the F800GT. I still have a couple of long trips to ride. Once I finish those, the F800GT will be sold. I will use my Cagiva Alazzurra 650 for any multi-day trips. It was my daily rider from 1987 to 2001.
The only thing I didn't like about the McCruise install on the F800GT, was the speed signal sensor being mounted on the right front fork with the vulnerable ugly metal bracket. I ditched the bracket and installed the speed signal sensor in the backside of the drive belt cover and installed the 5 small magnets in the rear belt sprocket bolts. Makes for a very clean install. On my other 2 bikes with the installed McCruises, those kits uses the bike's own speed sensor to tell the McCruise brain how fast the bike is going. So no need for the additional speed signal sensor.

Premium Member
I have an F800S and F800R both great bikes but my main bike is an R1250RS
I love the cruise control and really missing when riding the Fs
I don't think I will change my stable

Premium Member
I have no reason to replace my F8 ST but, if I were to replace it, this would be a contender. I like the shaft drive and it is a beautiful bike. Downside is lack of dealer support. I just learned last night that one my local dealerships took on MG and Aprilia.

The question is, do I go the mid-size ADV route instead. Norden 901, new TransAlp? Not sure but I hope to be riding the F8 for a while regardless.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts