BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 F800 GS with 14K miles about a year ago, excellent condition and it has been an awesome bike, I do have a question though.
Is the clutch and transmission on these bikes so good that by slightly closing the throttle I can upshift seamlessly without even feathering the clutch? If I do this most of the time am I harming something?
This started functioning this way when I finally found an engine oil that has been great, Motorex 4T Top speed in the right weight. (15W50)
I can't tell if its directly related or it's just that I have been getting better at riding my F800, or it's just the nature of the beast with a great tranny and clutch.
Love my F800.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I've been using the Motul 5100 4T 15W50 Synthetic Blend Oil with excellent results.
I'll add your find to my list!
I have 100K miles on mine now and the tranny just gets smoother as I go.
I'm till on the original clutch and though it's not had an easy life it's not been abused either ...
still seems very solid.

and yeah I upshift wihtout clutch into 5 and 6 no issues noticed.

Reactions: Fersail

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I now have 21K and it is just getting smoother with age, what a great bike! Yes that Motorex oil is a bit pricey but I felt a difference right away! Most of my miles are on fire roads in the Florida heat, I had been using the Shell Advance Ultra, (which is the oil BMW rebrands as their own with an upcharge!) and there was a change in smoothness within a few miles.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
39 Posts
Regarding clutch....my 2007 800S affectionately called Katyusha, has sounded like a "bag of spanners" for 4+ years. Upon exhausting clutch adjustment I took her to the shop for clutch overhaul. They showed me an exploded clutch with plenty of shaving & metal brackets sheared off. Clutch shifted fine - just noisy. BMW should get me under contract exclaiming the robustness of their build...one bulletproof clutch!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts