BMW F800 Forum banner

Classic car photos

545K views 472 replies 41 participants last post by  Richard230 
#1 ·
So this morning I was at Alice's Restaurant in Woodside, CA, and after a while various interesting classic cars, motorcycles and sport cars started showing up. I took a lot of photos so I will divide them up into three threads. Here are the classic cars. The first one is a Stuz 32. I had heard of their Bearcat, but I had no idea they made this huge touring sedan. I sure wouldn't want to try to turn the engine over with a crank. [:0]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is this a Packard? And a 1948 MG and a couple of Morgans.

Attachments

Reactions: Willy and TheMeteor
#3 ·
Here is an unusual Ford and a V-8 Jeep.

And for contrast, a new Ford GT-40 and 2 new AC Cobras

Attachments

Reactions: TheMeteor and Willy
#5 ·
Most of the old cars had really low compression because the gas was crap. Barely above Kerosene. They also had spark adjustments on the steering wheel to facilitate the starting process.
Cadillac had electric starts as early as 1912. The Model T came out with electric start in 1926.
The hand crank ability was held over until the 60's on some vehicles like the jeep. There was a hole through the radiator to the front pulley but I don't think a crank was provided.
What the heck, the foot start on motorcycles was a long time in dying too. My 1973 Honda 500/4 had an electric starter and a kick pedal too, also.

#63 ·
What the heck, the foot start on motorcycles was a long time in dying too. My 1973 Honda 500/4 had an electric starter and a kick pedal too, also.
Believe the 1978 Honda CX500 was the first modern motorcycle to not have a kick start, not even a provision to retrofit one. Was also the first with tubeless tires. I had one.

Also currently have a 2009 Husaberg FE450 which is one of the first, if not the first racing dirtbike with only e-start and no provision to retrofit a kickstarter.

#7 · (Edited)
My Dad took a 1969 Nissan Patrol in as a down payment for a house he built in Ouray, Colorado. I remember the crank but, never used it. Kind of a clumsy thing that had a tendency to die out in the mountian roads. I borrowed it to go sking up on the Mesa and did a slow motion roll down the mountain as it had bald tires.....[:D] It was interesting rolling around in it with all his tools. Put a dent in the roof that got banged out but, because it was deep powder it made out OK...better then I did:becky:

#8 ·
I used mine to circumnavigate the country in 1973. Got badly bogged in outback South Aus. In the process of de-bogging, a lock washer in the gearbox broke, a nut fell off and the clutch shaft and main shaft joined up and welded themselves together. The outcome of this was no gears, and direct drive from motor to rear wheels. Luckily we had got out of the bog.
The only way to get the vehicle moving was to slip the clutch and have my two mates push and jump in when we were rolling.
We drove like this for about 50 miles to the nearest town, Ceduna. We were stuck in Ceduna for two weeks waiting for parts to be flown in from Melbourne. To fill in time, we got a job with the local council, and helped build the Ceduna Tennis club. [:)]

#11 ·
Here is a photo of a low-slung, right-drive, rust-bucket, Ford hot rod that I saw up at Alice's Restaurant today. Definitely something a little different. In case you were wondering he uses hydraulics as a "parking brake" and as a way to get moving again.[:D]

Attachments

Reactions: DWS
#13 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Pic is of my late lamented 1948 Healey Silverstone. The guy on the left is TheMan - Donald Healey himself, on a visit to Aus in the 70's. on the right, a much younger IanA.
I bought the car in 1963 for a mere $600, raced and rallied it for years before selling it 1990 for $60K.
It disappeared until last year when it was sold to a Dutch restorer for $160K. It has now undergone a complete makeover. Value now? maybe $280K or more. Chances of me getting it back? Nil.
Have lots more pics/ info if anyone interested.

#14 ·
Not exactly a classic car, but today I saw my first Ariel Atom. That thing sure doesn't have much in the way of wind protection. Instead of getting bugs in your teeth, you get bugs up your underwear. [:0] Also, the windshields are so small that even flies don't collect there. Plus, the seats are even harder than what BMW installs on their bikes. [uhoh] You got to be tough to drive this car. [lol]

Attachments

Reactions: F800STIG
#17 ·
At the car show that I attended yesterday, there were a number of interesting cars that I had not seen before.

Attachments

Reactions: TheMeteor
#18 ·
Here are photos of a classic Porsche 1600, a 1950 Studebaker Champion coupe (my favorite car from my youth) and a new Epic Torq Roadster electric vehicle. This car is the first one off their assembly line and costs around $90,000. It is powered via the front wheels, uses a brushed DC motor and has a whole lot of LiFePo4 battery cells running along the center of the car.

Attachments

Reactions: TheMeteor
#19 ·
I am not sure if this should be under car or motorcycle photos. But here is the nicest restored BMW Isetta 300 that I have ever seen. The car was in mint condition (the owner said that the green color was not original) and it sounded great when he pulled up at Alice's Restaurant today. But with that car's brakes, I would want to keep a very long gap between me and the vehicle in front when traveling in traffic. [uhoh]

Attachments

#21 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle
Richard, Amazing that the guy with the Isetta was even game to expose it in public. No reflection on its looks - just I would be very worried that it would be squashed like a bug by the nearest ******* F100. These things are now bringing absurd prices. At RM Auctions earlier this year, a '56 Isetta pickup brought $89,700 and a '58 sports $92,000 !!!! (mind you, a Messershmitt went for $92K at the same auction)
I once owned (1969) a nice little BMW 700 CS Coupe, the successor to the Isetta. It was a neat little coupe with a rear mounted Boxer motor mated to a transaxle with Lotus like rubber shaft joints - the whole thing kinda like a two cylinder Porsche, in a way.
I thrashed the poor little thing all around Europe and UK for two years before selling it for 90 quid to get an air ticket home to Aus. Wonder what it would be worth now?......

#24 ·
Wow Ian, if I had only worn checked trousers while carrying lenses, I may have had some better cars too.........

#25 ·
Some very nice bikes in there Ian, page 4 "I don't know what it is but I want one, must be Italian' My call Parilla from Milan, very successful in both Canada and the US, in lightweight classes during the 50's into the early 60's.....

Reactions: IanA
#26 ·
Great site Richard, worth subscribing to. Something new every week, and superb photography.

Observant bastard ! Don't have the old blue car anymore, and the Nikon hasn't been used in 15 years, but I thnk I might still have the flares around somewhere....

What did I read today? Oh, yes " If you can remember the Sixties - you weren't there"

Cheers, IanA