BMW F800 Forum banner

Calsci Windshield for F800S / ST

22K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  arcticlife 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a couple of US F800 owners to test our new F800 windshields. If you test for me, you get the windshield for free. Sorry, US guys only - shipping to the UK is too dear for this.

Mark Lawrence
mark@calsci.com

#6 ·
Hey! Oregon is not that far away.........I already sent you my address:D
Originally posted by marklawrence

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a couple of US F800 owners to test our new F800 windshields. If you test for me, you get the windshield for free. Sorry, US guys only - shipping to the UK is too dear for this.

Mark Lawrence
mark@calsci.com

#8 ·
#10 ·
I tested this windshield. Actually, that's my bike in the photo. I wrote California Scientific a few weeks back asking if they were considering a shield with winglets, similar to the Italian Isotta. Mark Lawrence wrote back that they had a prototype I could try to see how I liked it. I've had it on for 2 weeks now and am very happy.

Here is a very quick review (I'm at work now). Great coverage. I received the tallest shield with the intention of cutting it down myself, since I have done this several times with other bikes. I'm going to leave it the full height. I have been riding an old R100RT for many years and have gotten used to the large 'barn door', so after I had ridden the ST for awhile I decided that I wanted to get close to the same coverage and shift the ST a little bit more toward the Touring side of the sport-touring equation. This windshield does it. NO buffeting that I am aware of. The noise level is a bit high, though, but part of that may be from my Nolan N102 helmet, which is the probably the noisiest helmet I've ever had. A shorter shield would probably help the noise. Hand coverage is increased, although not total. Went for a 40 mile ride last Saturday in 36 degree F. drizzle and the hands got a bit cool, but the rest of me was fine -- no cold wind down the front of the riding suit.

One last thing, my stepson thinks it make the bike look pretty bad, but he rides a Yamaha cruiser, so what does he know. The look has grown on me. I'm sure the shield will make 500 miles days a lot easier.

Mark

#11 ·
Thanks for additional info. Have put my ST away for winter hibernation and dream of Spring (after skiing season, of course). I have been riding for 5 years and have been learning much, to put it mildly. The ST is new as of June 07 and here is the challenge re windscreen from my perspective: I am 5 ft 7 in tall and am experiencing several problems, mostly related to noise at bottom of helmet. If I stand up on pegs about 3-6 inches at 120 Km/hr, I get clean air, which indicates to me that stock windscreen is probably too high for me. Have looked at Double Bubble and MR Vario touring screens, but am not keen on $150-$200 experiments, so any opportunity to test windscreens appeals. also plan to buy risers (Santa special).
Would appreciate other experiences based on height of rider. Aren't aerodynamics fun?

#12 ·
Originally posted by BTK

Thanks for additional info. Have put my ST away for winter hibernation and dream of Spring (after skiing season, of course). I have been riding for 5 years and have been learning much, to put it mildly. The ST is new as of June 07 and here is the challenge re windscreen from my perspective: I am 5 ft 7 in tall and am experiencing several problems, mostly related to noise at bottom of helmet. If I stand up on pegs about 3-6 inches at 120 Km/hr, I get clean air, which indicates to me that stock windscreen is probably too high for me. Have looked at Double Bubble and MR Vario touring screens, but am not keen on $150-$200 experiments, so any opportunity to test windscreens appeals. also plan to buy risers (Santa special).
Would appreciate other experiences based on height of rider. Aren't aerodynamics fun?
See the "F800 Windshield Roundup" thread

#18 ·
Just received and installed my CalSci Touring windshield for my 2011 BMW F800ST. So far I'm quite happy with it. Install was quick and easy, about 10 minutes. Fits perfectly and looks great. Kinda gives the bike that "Police Bike" look. Took it for a quick test ride and it removes most wind pressure from my head and body. There seems to be no buffeting at all. I'm about 5'8" and 30" inseam. This is the "Medium" size windshield. It does add some low frequency noise compared to the stock shield, but not too bad. The stock shield also has noise but it's a higher frequency type. Air flow is very smooth and as I said, no buffeting.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Here's a link to the whole album:

http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i390/w9fcc/CalSci%20F800ST%20touring%20windshield/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.