BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....

I promised I'd be making this after I did the mirror extensions!
Not quite at saleable quality yet aesthetically, but it certainly works, Put more than 3000 miles on it during a recent trip to France and it only disengaged of its own accord a couple of times through vibration. Took a few spare thumb levers with me in case it broke but PETG is very forgiving and strong so had no issue whatsoever despite it being fairly thin on the lever its self.

Need to work on surface finish and print profiles ect... but hope to have this up on eBay within a couple of months (don't get a lot of tinker time at the moment)
Best thing about this is that just with a longer bolt it fixes into the same throttle cap mount thats already there - No additional fixings required [:D]
Wanted to give it a decent test (France) before sharing with you all so I know it did the job!

Bicycle part Rim Carbon Gas Auto part

What do you all think? Better than current clumsy market offerings?

Check out the video links below!

https://youtube.com/shorts/1fK8n5MY34g?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/efIgusQ8szQ?feature=share

Love to get your comments and suggestions guys and gals! [:)]

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob,

That's right, no adjustments needed at all [:)]
Simply remove the single Torx bolt holding the throttle cable cap, Remove the original cap, Replace with this printed assembly, fix it down with a longer torx bolt - Job done! :cool:
Literally 1 minute to fit it.

Only bit of "adjustment" might be moving the grip so it allows sufficient clearance for the locking lever when in the unlocked position.
Obviously this gap will be slightly different on each bike - However - to compensate for this and make things easier for people when I get the aesthetics nailed I'll offer different thickness levers and instructions on how to measure the gap meaning that any adjustment would be minimal for the individuals bike.

Not happy enough with the aesthetics yet to sell and going to try some different filaments to try and get as close to stock colour of the plastic as possible.
Best results so far are printing with the same material and colour as I use for my mirror extensions and then sandblast to get similar texture to original plastic finally clean with isopropyl alcohol to finish.
Results aren't bad this way and are "passable" but obviously that's quite a bit of post processing so want to reduce that as much as possible.

Thanks for the kind words [:)]

· Registered
1,703 Posts
Looks simple and effective but I think only suitable for bikes with conventional cable operated throttle.
My 2019 GT has electronically controlled throttle so there is no cable cover retaining screw and the gap between grip and housing is only about 4mm.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks simple and effective but I think only suitable for bikes with conventional cable operated throttle.
My 2019 GT has electronically controlled throttle so there is no cable cover retaining screw and the gap between grip and housing is only about 4mm.
Yes that's correct if your housing is different, mines a 2016 - Also correct on the grip gap & housing, the gap on mine is only 3.5mm but this still allows this to work well.
Works on friction by wedging the grip on a taper.

· Pope Flook
9,508 Posts
Looks good Tristan. I will have to check out my ST to see if it would fit. I see by your video that the leaver you pull down would grip the throttle, if so, this would be suitable for most bikes of other make as well.

May I offer some advice, do what I did not do when I put a camera and a monitor inside my van to see where I was reversing (in 2001). That is trade mark your design ASAP, that way not only would you get all the credit, but any manufacturer would have to pay you to make these.

All the best on your efforts.

Flook[8D]

PS, if you need a guinee pig for testing on an ST let me know[:D].

Reactions: CruncherG

· Pope Flook
9,508 Posts
Chris, as far as I can see what Tris1993 has invented would do the trick on your throttle, as it looks like it grips and locks in place the movement. I may be wrong here so please do not quote me. But that is what I gather from looking at the photo's that have been posted.

· Registered
1,703 Posts
Chris, as far as I can see what Tris1993 has invented would do the trick on your throttle, as it looks like it grips and locks in place the movement. I may be wrong here so please do not quote me. But that is what I gather from looking at the photo's that have been posted.
Dave,
I think you will find that on pre electric throttle bikes, there is a screw attaching the plastic cover for cable. Tris utilises that to attach the body of his device. That screw not present on electric throttle bikes.
I posted the picture to show Tris the difference and hopefully he will confirm.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Correct - my design would not fit the “fly-by-wire” throttle. Cable only fitment.
However the principal would work on any twist grip but would need to be re-designed according to the make/model of bike.
Hope this clears things up 🙂

· Pope Flook
9,508 Posts
Dave,
I think you will find that on pre electric throttle bikes, there is a screw attaching the plastic cover for cable. Tris utilises that to attach the body of his device. That screw not present on electric throttle bikes.
I posted the picture to show Tris the difference and hopefully he will confirm.
There we are, something I have learned, very interesting info that. Makes my mind think how to get around that, it must be my mechanical/electrical back ground, plus the inventor in me. I take after my father like that[:)].

· Pope Flook
9,508 Posts
Tristan, I suggest you patent it double quick if its not patented already.

As it is going to sell double quick, and you do not want others to take your rights of patent away. I hate to think what I have lost[:(].

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tristan, I suggest you patent it double quick if its not patented already.

As it is going to sell double quick, and you do not want others to take your rights of patent away. I hate to think what I have lost[:(].
Unfortunately this isn't a new idea, other options like this available (at a lot more than this will cost and a bit more clunky mind [:D]) and with the advent of most bikes now being fly by wire, cruise will become common place just as it is in cars. So I'm not going to go down that route however I'll be flogging these on eBay as I do my mirror extensions when I'm happy with it for probably about £25>£35ea once I've properly worked out time and material cost ect....
Appreciate you putting your best advice forward though. if it was 20 years ago it would have being worth doing - but if it was 20 years ago I also wouldn't own a 3D printer [xx(] or pubic hair [8)]

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks simple and effective, much better than other solutions I heard of, congrats [clap]
I had a glance at the throttle of my '09 F800R and I'd say it should fit that model too
Will probably fit most BMW's with cable throttle from early 2000 onwards - end of the day they're not going to have tens of different throttle tube designs.
My comment would be if it looks like its fits it probably will [:D] not sure how different grips would work with it, its designed around the stock grips that came on my bike (heated).
Should imagine as long as the flange of the aftermarket grip is similar it should work no problem though [:)]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts