BMW F800 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 F800 GT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been riding for nearly 30yrs, sounds so long ago! Anyways, just picked up a used '16 F800 GT with 600m on the clock from a Yamaha dealer. I've owned Hondas(900rr), Harley softails and touring and Indian Chieftain but never a BMW and I have to say that I love the BMW over all the other ones!

My question is that the display is showing SERVICE and dealer said they serviced the bike but didn't have the specific BMW tool to reset service indicator. So this leaves me with 2 options... ride it the way it is and just live with it till next oil change or drive the 2hrs to a BMW shop for its actual 1st service.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
.........the display is showing SERVICE and dealer said they serviced the bike but didn't have the specific BMW tool to reset service indicator......
It's not just the service reminder that gets reset first visit. When the bike leaves the dealer from new it has a rev limiter imposed, this is removed by the dealer when the bike goes in for its first service. If your dealer can't reset the service reminder they will not be able to remove the rev limiter.

If you add your location and shout out you may be lucky and have a forum member local with MotoScan/GS-911 and reset the reminder/remove the rev limiter for the price of a coffee. If you already own an Android device then I suspect it may be cheaper to buy a MotoScan licence (pro or above), cable and ODB Link/Adapter to do the reset yourself than ride the 2hrs to a BMW dealer to get the job done.

P.S.

Welcome to the Forum

·
Premium Member
11,372 Posts
Also BMW often has software updates that get installed during a service. I got the BMW dealer to do the initial services while under warranty. But all the rest I did myself (mines and early F800 so has no service warning light)

Reactions: CruncherG

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you go the Motoscan route (I did for my 2017) you might have a regular trapezoidal OBDII connector, not the BMW round variant. Also, there are GS-911 clones on aliexpress.com for about $30. They almost certainly use pirated software. There are also clones of the Motorrad service DVD on eBay for a low price.

·
Registered
2016 F800 GT
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not just the service reminder that gets reset first visit. When the bike leaves the dealer from new it has a rev limiter imposed, this is removed by the dealer when the bike goes in for its first service. If your dealer can't reset the service reminder they will not be able to remove the rev limiter.

If you add your location and shout out you may be lucky and have a forum member local with MotoScan/GS-911 and reset the reminder/remove the rev limiter for the price of a coffee. If you already own an Android device then I suspect it may be cheaper to buy a MotoScan licence (pro or above), cable and ODB Link/Adapter to do the reset yourself than ride the 2hrs to a BMW dealer to get the job done.

P.S.

Welcome to the Forum
That makes sense. I have updated my profile location and also called the closed dealer, 2.5hrs away in Memphis, and they do not offer scheduled appointments. Told me to drop it off and it would take a week. Said I live a ways away and will bring it in on the day that they work on it but still would not allow a specified date. So, looking at Tulsa or Dallas to see if they can do it on a scheduled date.

·
Administrator
5,356 Posts
I'd invest in an old GS-911 or better yet, the Motoscan app. It'll cost far less in time and frustration than going to a "dealer" hours away...and then having to retrieve it from hours away. You can reset your service indicator, check for error codes, sync your replacement TPMS sensors when you change them, cycle the ABS when you change the brake fluid...and probably more that comes to mind.

I started learning how to do my own maintenance on my bikes when the dealers would not make an appointment, but would tell me to just leave it with them for a week. I'm sure they don't miss my business, but I really like the freedom and flexibility of doing my own work.

When I do need maintenance done, there are local mechanics who used to work at BMW dealerships and struck out on their own. That's another option.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts